New Studio Part 1

So, over there last few years, my office/studio has become less the inspiring place to work and create, and more the store room/filing system/mess… and at Christmas I decided it was time to do something about it.

I needed to have a good clear out, and I needed some time to do it. The yellow walls were not good for looking at colours and my screen was opposite a window and reflecting the light unless I closed the blind. Which was a real shame in the summer. I had a 3 month contract with the Met Office, and elided to use this time to clear out, re-think, re-decorate and tidy up my office.

The Office/store room, complete with guitar, kite and pile of rubbish...

The Office/store room, complete with guitar, kite and pile of rubbish…

My desks...full of rubbish and unfilled paperwork

My desks…full of rubbish and unfilled paperwork

Half the drawing board I had bought - as there was no room to put the rest up

Half the drawing board I had bought – as there was no room to put the rest up

Bookcase crammed with stuff..

Bookcase crammed with stuff..

To be fair, these photos show it in the absolute worst state it had been in, just after Christmas, and I had been putting stuff in there, ready to be sorted… but still, it had got pretty bad. So the first thing I did was go through everything, either pack it up to go back in later, re-home, give to charity or throw away. Several boxes were put in our top room/attic, several car loads went to the tip/charity shop, and all the borrowed/lent/unused items were given back or re-homed. I managed to find new homes in our house for the kite and the guitar, where we thought they would (and actually have) been more likely to be used.

Cleared desk (well apart from the computer...)

Cleared desk (well apart from the computer…)

Clear shelves and mantlepiece!

Clear shelves and mantlepiece!

I then removed all the furniture – some to be got rid of completely (no need for an uncomfortable sofa bed or a rickety desk) ready to clean, re-decorate and re-think. We removed the useless built in cupboard that was ugly, and took up space, and prepared to plaster the remnants of the wall left behind, ready for painting.

Cupboard - GONE!

Cupboard – GONE!

Furniture - GONE!

Furniture – GONE!

We then spent a week plastering (we being myself and my husband), painting over the yellow with cheap white emulsion and re-glossing the woodwork. After all the very messy dusty work, I then put a few final coats of “Old English” White paint – not so harsh as pure brilliant white, a softer ivory colour.

Plastered alcove

Plastered alcove

First coat of white goes on!

First coat of white goes on!

Final coats of "Old English"

Final coats of “Old English”

Once the painting was all finished, I re-stained the floor with black stain, and cleaned the windows and fireplace. And what a difference it made! It seems a lot cleaner, brighter, and even with the normal bulb in, a lot less yellow…

All decorated...

All decorated…

All clean!

All clean!

Next on the list… furniture, and dressing the room!

TTFN,
Laura

Advertisements
Tagged , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: